Tourists from most countries can apply for a Laos eVisa. With no need to present paperwork in person at an embassy or consulate, the electronic visa is the most convenient option for travelers who want to spend up to 30 days in Laos.
However, in certain circumstances, visitors may need to apply for a visit visa or tourist visa at their nearest Laos embassy or consulate. Travelers should apply in person if they:
- Are a citizen of a country not eligible for the eVisa
- Are visiting Laos for reasons other than tourism
- Wish to stay in Laos long term
Countries Not Eligible for a Laos eVisa
Tourists from eligible countries should apply for a visa for Laos online, not at an embassy or consulate. The Laos eVisa system is available to passport holders from more than 100 nations.
Individuals from the countries below are not eligible for an eVisa or visa on arrival in Laos and should instead apply for a tourist visa at a diplomatic mission:
- Côte D’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Guinea Bissau
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
Applying for a Traditional Laos Tourist Visa
Travelers who are unable to apply for a visa online first need to make an appointment at their nearest Laos embassy or consulate. Applicants are advised to get in contact with the embassy as soon as possible, appointments may not be immediately available.
Visa applicants should attend the appointment with the following documents prepared:
- Onward travel or return flight tickets
- Evidence of financial means to cover the stay
- Passport valid for 6 months from the arrival date
- Hotel reservation or other proof of accommodation in Laos
- 2 passport-style photographs which meet the Laos visa picture requirements
- Laos visa application form which can be downloaded and completed in advance
Additional documentation may be requested. Travelers must also pay the Laos visa fee.
How long does it take to get a Laos visa from an embassy?
Traditional visa applications are generally processed within 2 weeks although waiting times can vary depending on demand. Travelers will be notified when their documents are ready for collection.
Laos eVisa requests are usually processed in one business day and are sent directly to the applicant by email, this is one of the reasons why all eligible passport holders are encouraged to use the online system.
Embassy Visa for Non-Tourism Purposes
Foreigners who need to travel to Laos for reasons other than tourism have to apply for a visa in person. The Laos eVisa is only valid for tourist activities.
Foreign citizens can request the following types of visa for Laos at their nearest embassy or consulate:
- Visit visa (B3): for visiting relatives in Laos
- Media visa (M-B2) for foreign journalists in Laos
- Labor visa (LA-B2): to be legally employed in Laos
- Investor visa (NI-B2): for people with investments in Laos
- Student visa (ST-B2): for overseas students studying in Laos
- Spouse visa (SP-B3): for the wife or husband of a Laos visa holder
- Expert visa (E-B2): usually issued to foreign experts in international organizations
The maximum length of stay varies depending on the visa type. Foreigners should check the visa specifications and requirements carefully to ensure they apply for the correct kind of permit.
To apply for the visas listed above, foreigners need to take the basic visa documentation to the embassy in addition to relevant paperwork. A work contract or other supporting documentation will be required depending on the type of visa.
Visa Extensions at an Embassy in Laos
Travelers with an eVisa can stay in Laos for up to 30 days. For most tourists, this offers enough time to explore the country and visit the top visitor attractions.
Nevertheless, some people may wish to stay in Laos for longer than one month. To do so, eVisa holders should contact their nearest embassy in Laos for advice about extending their visa.
If a visa extension is not possible. Travelers can leave Laos, reapply for the eVisa, and return to the country using the new authorization.
Laos Embassies and Consulates across the World
There are 26 Laos embassies and 26 consulates across the globe including those listed below:
Laotian Embassy in the UK
49 Porchester Terrace
London W2 3TS
Tel: (+44) 20 7402 3770
Laotian Embassy in the United States
2222 S Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel: (+1) 202 332 6416
Laotian Embassy in Australia
1, Dalman Crescent
O’Malley, ACT 2606
Tel: (+61) 2 6286 4595
Laotian Embassy in France
74, Avenue Raymond Poincare
Tel: (+33) (1) 4553 0298
Laotian Embassy in Germany
Bismarckalle 2 a
Tel: (+49) 30 89 06 06 47