In July 2019 the Laos Government introduced a new electronic travel authorization meant to streamline the immigration process for visitors traveling to Laos for tourism purposes. The eVisa, or Laos Approval Letter, is now available for over 150 countries globally. Specifically, citizens of Australia, North and South America, and EU citizens are eligible for the new online visa.
Citizens of some African and Middle Eastern countries are still required to apply for a tourist visa by going in-person to a Laos embassy or consulate.
Only citizens of a few Asian countries are allowed to enter Laos without a visa for up to 30 days: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.
The benefits of the eVisa are that it is an entirely online process that can be completed anywhere 24/7, it eliminates the necessity of going in person to an embassy or consulate and helps to avoid long queues at the entry ports.
Laos eVisa for Greek Citizens
Greek citizens can apply for a Laos eVisa entirely online up to seven days prior to departure. The online application form is available at all times. All travelers will need is a stable internet connection. This new process substitutes the tourist visa previously required and it allows for a smoother and faster immigration process.
The eVisa is valid for 60 days from the issue date but allows travelers to stay in Laos for up to 30 days. It is also important to note that it is a single-entry visa.
In addition to the eVisa, Greek citizens also have the option of obtaining a visa on arrival. This process can take longer due to the queues at the entry ports, therefore an eVisa is always preferable.
The visa on arrival can be obtained in one of two ways:
- By previously downloading and filling out the application form to hand in at the “Visa on arrival” counter in the entry ports
- By completing the whole process directly at one of the entry ports where travelers can fill out the form and obtain their entry visa
Travelers opting for the visa on arrival should bear in mind that they will need to provide all required documents. Also, they might incur additional costs such as the one for scanning the passport photo in case they don’t have two passport-size photos with them.
Laos eVisa Application Instructions from Greece
The online application process for the Laos eVisa is pretty simple and straightforward and will only take a few minutes.
Here are the steps that must be completed:
- Fill out the application form including personal and passport details
- Answer a few basic security questions
- Submit a passport-size color photo
- Provide a valid email address
- Complete the online payment by credit or debit card
Applicants will receive a confirmation email containing a link that allows them to access the application at any time. This is useful to check the status of the application or in case any additional documents have to be provided.
Circumstances that Require Greek Citizens to Get a Visa Instead of an eVisa
Here are a few circumstances that will require Greek citizens to apply for a different kind of visa instead of the eVisa:
- If travelers are planning on conducting business or investments in Laos, they will need to apply for a business visa
- If travelers are planning on staying in Laos for longer than 30 days, they will need to apply for a regular tourist visa
It is important to note that these types of visas can only be obtained by applying in person at an embassy or consulate.
Laos eVisa Eligibility Requirements from Greece
The following are the requirements to apply for a Laos eVisa from Greece:
- Possessing a passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry to Laos
- Providing a passport-size, color photo
- Submitting credit or debit card details for the online payment
- Providing a valid email address
Additional documents might be required based on the nationality of the travelers. These documents can also be submitted later, not necessarily at the moment of the online application.
Travel Information to Laos from Greece
Here is some additional travel information regarding the eVisa for Greek citizens:
- Travelers should make sure to submit the application at least seven days before their trip to avoid inconvenience and allow enough time for the submission of any additional documents
- It is important to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in the application form to avoid delays or rejection of the eVisa
- The eVisa will need to be printed and presented at the entry port into Laos
- For additional information or requirements, travelers can check the news section about the Laos Approval Letter
The following Laotian entry ports allow citizens to enter with an eVisa:
- Wattay International Airport (Vientiane Capital)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I (Vientiane Capital)
- Luang Prabang International Airport (Luang Prabang Province)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Savanakhet Province)
- Pakse International Airport (Champasack Province)